When? he asked. When does middle age end and old age begin?

"When" he asked, " when does middle age end and old age begin?"

It took awhile to recover from his question.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ancient History: Beyond the Hedge; Morning crows

11/17/06
I was up before dawn today and as I sat in the window and watched the sky lighten I saw the crows, again. There were waves and waves of them and they flew very low again today, perhaps because of the wind and low clouds. I am fascinated.
I have made inquires. My neighbour says they spend their nights in the trees outside of the hospital complex north east of here which makes seems to sense from the direction of their dusk migration. She says it is very disconcerting to leave the hospital after dark. The trees seem alive with shadows and the crow s movements and the undertones of their voices. I want to go on a field trip.
I have heard a report of them congregated in trees south of here during the day. The good hunting I imagine to be the draw. The ground has been cleared and there is road construction in the area.

Another sighting places many crows at dusk, between here and the hospital, beside a semi deserted tennis court on the edge of a green belt. Overflow perhaps.
I love the word rookery, apparently it applies to European crows. The American crow is said to be secretive in its nesting habits. Not these. Research is required.

No comments: