When? he asked. When does middle age end and old age begin?

"When" he asked, " when does middle age end and old age begin?"

It took awhile to recover from his question.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ancient History: Beyond the Hedge; Ladder to Success

02/05/07
Ladder to success

Part of being successful is figuring out what you want.

It seems straight forward when you put it that way. I am from a generation who was not brought up to think about success or to plan for it. I was taught it was my duty to be a good wife and mother, to be a good citizen and a contributing member of my community. I was certain that I wanted to have a loving lasting relationship and I am fortunate to have found someone I could grow with, who was similarly committed. A community of two.

Over time, the constituency of my community has changed. My community has been my birth family, and then my school and my friends which became our friends. As a pre-teen, I imagined my community to be my church but this was not, for me, a long time community. As a parent the community of my children became my community.

So once the need to belong to a particular community has been removed where does that leave me? Alone with myself and my own family. Here I have success but as my children move on what is it I need and what is it I want?

No comments: