When? he asked. When does middle age end and old age begin?

"When" he asked, " when does middle age end and old age begin?"

It took awhile to recover from his question.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Rolling down the road

My sons' were around a lot over the holiday. We have a bathroom just off the kitchen and my eldest child was standing at the mirror as I passed.

"My grey is getting much more noticable" he said. I smiled.

Personally I have had grey hair since my early 20's and have been called 'grey haired' since my mid 30 so that his grey is becoming noticeable is no surprise. Grey hair on a man is a sign of capability- isn't it?

New year's day my youngest was standing in the back hall looking into the mirror
"No one but you would notice it Mom" he said "but look here- I have three grey hairs!"

"Well done son!" I said "Now you are a man, can we talk about you moving out? I grinned my best 'I love you grin' at him.

Later that afternoon the phone rang, and I answered. There was a sort of choking noise on the other end and then nothing.

Hello? I said and nothing and then a crackling sound.

"Who IS this?" I said gruffly "What do you want" assuming a pranskster or heavy breather on the other end.

"Grammy it's me" the Grand said in his sweet little boy voice. "I called to wish you and Grampy happy new year his manly voice began and then cracked.

"Oh Sweetie" I said "this old phone isn't working very well and I didn't hear you" I said attempting to save face and save him some embarassment.

And then yesterday the second kick in the pants for the new year, my darling eldest son popped in to say hello.

"Yeah so, isn't that great news about the young lad?"

"Might be " I say non-comittally

"Didn't he call you? he asked. He personally has been out of town for 10 days.

"Nope" I say with a shudder thinking of the last time the lad called.

" He had a job interview just after New years and they hired him!" my proud son announced "His first job"

I smile, shake my head and think to myself 'was it that very long ago I was excited for you when you came home and announced you had been hired for the very first time. I suppose it was, I suppose it was.

No comments: